Monday, November 13, 2023

New Bill Proposes Redirecting ATF Tax Stamp Funds to Enhance Wildlife Conservation and Recreation


Congressman Blake Moore (R-UT) and Congressman Jared Golden (D-ME) have introduced the Tax Stamp Revenue Transfer for Wildlife and Recreation Act. This groundbreaking bill aims to reallocate the funds generated from tax stamp processing, enhancing wildlife and habitat conservation and recreation programs while also expediting ATF processes.

Find Guns & Ammo at Gun Coyote | The Gun Deals Search Engine

Currently, under the National Firearms Act of 1934, applicants for suppressor transfers undergo a background check and pay a $200 tax stamp, with these funds deposited into the U.S. Treasury without specific direction. The proposed Act seeks a strategic allocation of these taxes to bolster wildlife conservation, recreation, and expedite ATF processing.

Join the Gun Coyote Forum

"I am pleased to introduce this important bill that underscores our commitment to conserving America’s natural heritage, investing in outdoor recreation, and making ATF’s processes for law-abiding citizens more efficient,” said Congressman Blake Moore.

“By paying fees for licenses and equipment, Maine outdoorsmen have sustained our state’s recreational opportunities for generations,” added Congressman Jared Golden. “Applying this same principle to the sale of accessories like silencers will increase consistency with the law, bolster conservation efforts in Maine, and make the background check process more efficient and effective.”

Of the total revenue, 15% would go to ATF’s NFA division to expedite suppressor applications. The remaining 85% would be split further, with the majority supporting the Pittman Robertson Wildlife Restoration Trust Fund and a portion allocated to recreational shooting ranges development and maintenance.

Joel Ferry, Executive Director of the Utah Department of Natural Resources, remarked, “This bill dedicates significant resources that would accelerate wildlife conservation and restoration efforts, such as habitat improvement, research, and education. It’s a powerful commitment to conservation. It also improves ATF application efficiency, which will improve processing time for those seeking to legally obtain a suppressor.”

This Act builds on the rich conservation heritage of the U.S. by increasing conservation funding and enhancing the capacity and efficiency of the ATF and FBI in processing applications for suppressors, without altering the criteria for obtaining one.

No comments:

Post a Comment